The Power of Reiki

The Power of Reiki
Written by: Missy Stancil, LPC, NCC



Are you considering integrating Reiki into your self-care routine or as part of therapy? Reiki and other forms of energy healing are becoming more and more a part of treatment and wellness in Western cultures with a very long history in Eastern cultures.  For me, I approach my work (and my life) from bio-psycho-social-spiritual model, meaning I value how our individual biology and psychology, our social connection (or disconnection), and our individual and social spirituality are inextricable parts of wellness.  Devoting time and energy to becoming a Reiki Master was a natural part of my training as a behavioral health professional, and I’m delighted Amelia asked me to share a bit with you through the KCW blog.


What is Reiki?

The word Reiki is a Japanese word meaning spiritually guided life force energy.  Healing is accomplished by gentle touch in which energy is transferred from the practitioner to the recipient.  The practitioner is simply a channel of universal life force energy flowing from an unlimited source, not the practitioner.  Reiki is not affiliated with any specific religion. Both Reiki and spirituality focus on self-care. One way to think of Reiki is as a spiritual practice that complements any particular faith to promote healing and wellness.


What are the benefits of Reiki?

People who have received Reiki report: decreased pain, less fatigue, faster recovery, lower stress, improved sleep, increased sense of calm, and deeper spiritual connection.


Client experiences of Reiki.  

Below are a few responses from current clients when asked “why did you choose to incorporate Reiki in your therapy and how has it been beneficial for you?”

“Digging into your life can facilitate great personal growth but it can also be painful at times. Incorporating Reiki into my sessions has enabled me to carry what I learned in counseling into everyday life with more balance and health. For me, that has meant more peace and faster progress.”


“For me, Reiki has been one of the most calming, relaxing, and healing parts of my journey. It has allowed me to feel into what my body is trying to tell me. I have enjoyed both the full Reiki sessions and the mini-sessions. Whenever I complete a session, I feel more connected to the truth of who I am.”


“Reiki gives me a deeper connection to myself.  I was a worrywart before, and now I notice I’m more mindful and intentional.  I feel more confident in myself and my decisions. It forces me to do self work, like actually from the inside out.  Working out that deep stuff.”


Where can I learn more about Reiki?

The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health provides information about the use of Reiki in the United States, including ongoing research.  Locally, Duke Integrative Medicine is a great place to learn more about Reiki, including certificate classes for Reiki I.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Use of Physical Exercise to Reduce Symptoms of ADHD

Perception, Perspective, Point of View, Frame of Reference, Mindset, etc.